Collection: Part 3

reflection

24 July Monday

• First day of this unit, I would like to start with news. Then I come out with 4 themes by analysing what interests me the most and what characteristics news had.
  1. First one is the drama from everyday life. I am curious about why sometimes news is more drama than TV show script and how news influenced our daily life.
  2. Second one is editing. Because I quite enjoy to see different director create different outcome with the same resource. In news industry, it is the same thing. Believing which information is useful involves journalists’ own opines. That is why I think there is no one hundred percent truth / fact.
  3.  The third theme is connection / communication. This theme is focus on how information transmit. News is one of our chat topics. I should observe people and find out when / where / what do we communicate. What are the product that help or obstruct communication?
  • In this project I want to get out of my comfortable zone and try a new approach of design which is conceptual design. In order to make sure I’m in the right direction I took twice tutorial with different tutors. During these tutorials, I find out that explaining my idea to others could help me to understand more about my themes and explore new ideas as well. Right now I quite enjoy tutorial instead of worry about it.

mind map

27th July Thursday

These days I think the most difficult part is explain my themes in short sentences and I don't know which direction I should focus on. It has too many things could be developed. Because this is the first time that I try to developing  3 themes at the same time but I did not master this very well.  Probably it also have something to do with the feature of news which is a really huge topics.

Therefore I attend another tutorial. So I can be inspired more during a discussion and make sure how to narrow down my topic. Today, by going through the materials guide sheet, I can select methods and materials which could narrow down my possible aims.  

3rd August Thursday

Today I watched TED talks. Listening to other's speech is really inspiring. It is excited to find out that experts and I shared some same ideas in these videos, which, make me feel more confident about my opinion. Through these speeches I can receive some professional data and diagrams. However, I think some of videos in TED are too subjective. So I personally prefer the speech that involves reliable research. In general, I do enjoy watching TED talks.

proposal

4th August Friday

Today tutor demonstrate a new method of being creative and draw ideas as many as possible, which is combine different information form the collage we made for our own project to draw more sketch and finding inspiration.

When I finding and organizing this collage I considered about the order, characteristic and what I want to show. unexpectedly, most of feedbacks form my peers are about the characteristic of a specific image.

Sadly, I am not good at drawing texture so I stuck in sketch part for a while.

I really enjoy the afternoon session, we can work as a group and make 3D models !!! I like working groups and I do believe this can improve our work efficiency by sharing ideas.  The sweet that we won is the best prove of our teamwork.

collage

material: wax

material: chocolate

10th August Tuesday

I was trying to make a sand clock tomorrow but I just can't find the proper sand and I already spent lot time on distinguish different types of sand. When I almost give up I just thought about the lava lamp, which probably will lighter than sand. I only took 15 minutes to make this experiment and the out come seems like what I want have. I am quite confident about tomorrow.

25th July Tuesday

Today we need to find politics and histories that links to our theme. This is not hard for me because I start with news which is full of politics and current events.

However, I’m not quite clear about my 3 themes because they are come from the same topic and link together. I need more time to distinguish the differences all.

Apart from that, tutor and I both agree my collages need to be more visual. I was concentrate on explaining themes by different examples instead of one clear image,  which is the thing I am going to develop in.

26th July Wednesday

• I been to the California design freedom exhibition in the design museum and visited Tate modern museum.
  • In the morning I was trying to find elements from artist’s and designer’s works which could fit in my themes. Later on, I just start to realize that this might create misunderstanding about the original meanings. This behave also could link to my theme (editing). for instance, sometimes I just like a journalist who select information from mass of data. During the selection I am putting my own view or point into the news I will write.
  • The most interest thing I saw today is a group of blind people in Tate Modern. It has touched me deeply to see how these people feel art, especially when they came into a section that only have drawings. There is a tour guide who basically just describing the colour and elements in one drawing. Maybe the ‘words version’ of drawing could give us more information to imagine than glance at it. It remains me the drawing session in last month. 

31st July Monday

Today I feel like many ideas are quite random but they link together somehow. Some of my ideas are the social facts. I am not sure whether it could count as my ideas.  In order to relate with my discipline I decide to consider about how to solving these social problems by products and in a conceptual way. For example, an useless phone or a ticking time bomb that looks like a phone.

1st August Tuesday

Writing my framework helps me to organize my theme, today I finally could explain my final theme to others in steps by steps and logical way .

Right now my theme have 3 different directions, which is overload, oversize and the exaggerated information . Actually some ideas were come from other themes  that I worked on in last week.

Basically, instead of choosing one theme to develop on, I combine 3 themes. I am excited about this new method of design and feel like there are so many things I would do. Tomorrow I should focus on researching some product design works that could link with exaggeration.

Framework

2nd August Wednesday

I feel quite confident about my section 1,2, 3 in my proposal and right now I need to explore more on research part. Actually I think the most hard part in writing proposal is writing the concept. Due to the limitation of words I have to include my inspiration, what I am interest in and what I want to express.So far in this project, I think my theme is suitable for a 7 weeks project. because it has so many potentials and I need to narrow down.

When I filling this spider diagram this morning, I feel like history context is the hardest part for mr to writ. Because most of my  history context that I researched before also is political and ethical context. After I fill political and ethical context, I need to do other research. Therefore, I find some art work on design website.

7th August Monday

07/08 tutorial

8th August Tuesday

I spent most of my time on researching materials. the materials I want to find should able to melt in our hands. This is because I want the material turn into liquid or become soft when we touched it for 10 minutes. Maybe the time of holding phone would be decline if  these kind of materials can apply in our phones. This reminds me of chocolate and I fond surgru in material library.

11th August Friday

My aim for today is making a model in time and making sure it works. my outcome included vegetable oil and colored water so the model has too be accurate. Otherwise, every liquid will leak.

Well I guess worst thing happens all the time and this was no exception. it leaks everywhere . I think the problem is I didn't stick two slides in the base layer of the screen cover.

if i have more time I would like to make another one which defiantly be more reliable than this one.

by the way, the action plan that I wrote yesterday is a fairy tale. I won't be able to finish everything in 2 hours.

Image

Image