Collection: Part 3

Research

Tags: foundation plus

50-20-10

• the drama from daily life
  • sharing information/ communication
  • editing

news

This is a quite famous image that describes the difference between facts and news. I sew this many times, as long as some people trying to show how unreliable the media is they will use this image. So I can find the accurate information about it. In this project my staring point is new and this image is the most classic impression for me about this topics.

In this image we can see the media only shows part of the truth which create a totally opposite story. I think due to the limitation of words, journalist can't explain whole story to public and they use their own thoughts to highlight part of the story. in order to catch more attention. Of course this is not the whole reason but I think this common reason that most people would agree. So I choose the wold 'exaggeration' as my theme title.

The remains of residential tower block Grenfell Tower in west London on June 15, 2017 Picture/ AFP/Getty Images

Another possible theme is drama from daily life. I think these days news makes me feel like real life is more drama than a TV show script.

In order to let audiences understand what's happening scriptwriter need to follow logic and leave some hints and clues. However, in real life things won't happen as we imagined. Because there are too many possible things we ignored that could change everything.

For example, on Wednesday 14 June 2017the horrible Grenfell building fire happened which shocked everyone. I think people have this react is because we ignored some potential risks that would cause this fire. 

We don't have enough brain to remember everything and naturally our brain will select the most important information for us that we can't avoid.

I took these two pictures when I go back to my accommodation. The first picture is about the impression that ' it seems like I am always the first one while waiting for the green light'. The second situation is I feel like everyday I just can't catch the first train.

• I believe the reason why we have these feeling is we tend to remember the unpleasant feelings. In other words, we overreact/ exaggerate about life.
  • Confirmation bias

tiger-team was the most popular children book when I was little. Inside this book there some card help children to cracking password. which also can be treated as a a different way of communication.

Cryptography

'The Naked City' – Guy Debord (1957)

The Naked City form Guy Debora is a really good example of visually express the main information and connection between each one. Instead of showing themes by making collage I would like to start with analysis the key characteristics of how news be spread. In this way, news as one of the topics that we talks in daily life can show a social network by us arrows. 

Wednesday

I Saw What Happened and I Cried by Carrie Weems

PAINTING WITH WHITE

These two white pants drew my attention when I visit Tate modern and make me notice some extra paint and white lines around the paint. I think this is because I exaggerated some unperfected parts. I do think this reaction is quite common in our daily life. We always overact something.

interaction

The reason why I took this picture is I think these two shadows could represent the interaction between people and projection, which is another example of communication. 

Image

Image

Magdalena Abakanowicz Embryology 1978–80

Different size of hop-pockets looks like rocks rely on each other. they make feel like these 'stones' are quite intimacy and these smaller stones just like the chicks under their mother's wings. 

Image

Image

Image

blind people in museum

In design museum, there is a book recorded the how people build a space with the least material. this could link to my oversize idea. Just like bubble,  they only need use few material to create a outcome which is much bigger than the original size. The different between bubble and this space is the difference of stability. I haven't figure out how to apply this research into my project

emoji

Image

Text box

This fish tank is made by glass and is placed in the edge of table. It make me feel insecure and fragile. Even though I know it won't fall, I still worry about it. Maybe I could replace the gold fish and fill the tank with phones. The form of this tank reminds me of time lapses and the rubbish bag. 

I searched whole day about the wired materials that have very low melting point. and I just realize the most common material that could meet the requirement is material.

In this book  we can find the five categories of social group, which support my idea of people who shared same or similar interests tend to have more connection and they might develop into some squads and groups. 

vesicant/ foamer

voices otobong nkanga

I found this in Tate museum and I was attracted by these concretes and they are connected to each other by wire. From my perspective, concretes represent individual human and wire means the connection.

bubble and bubble economic

At the beginning , I was just searching for images that i could used as a mood board. but i realize the picture could explain my ideas as well. For example, I was attracted by the color of this bubble which is vibrant, rich and vivid in this picture, like the beautiful appearance of bubble economic and some slogan of politician. In this image photographer successfully recored the the moment of bubble bursting. So we can see the frail fracture it has. I quite interest in the relation between vulnerable soap bubble and the air that could burst bubble in any minute inside the bubble. Thanks to the air suds could become bubbles but at the same time air is potential risk. the volume of a little drop of suds can change into a enormous bubble. maybe oversize is the main reason of weak bubble.

rubber duck by Florentijn Hofman (Dutch)

My impression of rubber duck is the bath toy when I was a kid. Florentijn Hofman enlarged a rubber duck and put in different rivers as an installation art. In my opinion, the rubber duck is too huge to be regarded as a bath toy. On the one hand, it become useless. 

• oversize

Particularly, when the rubber duck deflated it shows the fragile of rubber and it remains me of air balloon.

Image

Image

2

recycled-boats-life-

FREITAG

Image

Image

At first I thought this work is about the layout of newspaper, while actually it says the empty context of news paper which is quite ironic. This newspaper inspired me and I would like to build a 3D model that could warn people about the empty context of social media. Not like newspaper, people usually spent much more time on their phones and addicted to social media. Right now I am thinking about combine the enormous but useless object and empty context together and show to the audience that we already spent too much time on useless things and it's time to change that situation.

Camera Restricta — Philipp Schmitt

Interstitial Space Helmet, Auger-Loizeau, 2004

The whole head was under the helmet and the screen in front of us shows a digital image of face but we don't know is that the real face of this person. These information reminds me of these days more and more internet trolls send horrible information on the internet. usually, in real life they are totally different people. I think the reason why trolls bold enough to say bad things is they feel like no one knows who they are and there is no consequents.

Malpass, Matt (2015) Criticism and Function in Critical Design Practice.

Why our screens make us less happy

In this TED-talk, I agree with the reason why we can't stop use our phones is there is no stoping cuse. not like newspaper or any paper print, we don't need to turn to the next page. Therefor we don't known how many time we already spent. This point of view offered me a new direction which is give user a stoping cuse. For instants, we can limit the time of using phone by clock. the sound of counting down also could make us nervous and mind us about the time goes by.

inside the mind of a master

Teach girls bravery, not perfection

Image

External media

Image

material

material: wax

rotring-800-mechanical-pencil-and-stylus-hybrid

saving pot