Collection: Part 3

Research

Tags: foundation plus

50-20-10

starting point: NEWS

• The drama from daily life
  1.  I feel like, all our lives are saturated with news. Meanwhile, news is always urgent, exaggerated and headlines tweets, and posts simplify information. These days, this news me feel like real life is more drama than a TV show script, partly because news was exaggerated by journalists. we need detail to get the whole story. Sometimes, the viewer will overreact something, which is another method of exaggeration.
  2. Finding the reason why people feel drama in everyday life. Exploring the problems( requirements ) behind it.
  3. I am curious about reasons of drama life.

• Sharing information/ communication
  1. News is one of the topics in our daily communication. We usually obtain information from newspaper ( physical )and phone ( digital ). I am interested in different means of information exchange, which includes eye contact, face-to-face communication and painting with audiences. I think communication could create connection and relationship between people, which eventually will create our society.
  2. As a chat content, news could enrich people's conversation. During the discussion sometimes people will exaggerate news.
  3. Focusing on how people communicate with each other by different objects.
  • Editing
  1. One of my habits is watching movies. I agree with the idea that art derives from life but it is beyond life. I am interested in what characteristics makes movies different with life. Editing is a key role of making movie, which involves director's own feeling and make movie differ from resources. 
  2. I found editing attractive. Because sometimes director could make a variety of different versions from the same recourse.
  3. Every information we can receive has been edited by others.

news by unknown

This is a quite famous image that describes the difference between facts and news. I sew this many times, as long as some people trying to show how unreliable the media is they will use this image. So I can find the accurate information about it. In this project my staring point is new and this image is the most classic impression for me about this topics.

In this image we can see the media only shows part of the truth which create a totally opposite story. I think due to the limitation of words, journalist can't explain whole story to public and they use their own thoughts to highlight part of the story. in order to catch more attention. Of course this is not the whole reason but I think this common reason that most people would agree. So I choose the wold 'exaggeration' as my theme title.

The remains of residential tower block Grenfell Tower in west London on June 15, 2017 Picture/ AFP/Getty Images

Another possible theme is drama from daily life. I think these days news makes me feel like real life is more drama than a TV show script.

In order to let audiences understand what's happening scriptwriter need to follow logic and leave some hints and clues. However, in real life things won't happen as we imagined. Because there are too many possible things we ignored that could change everything.

For example, on Wednesday 14 June 2017the horrible Grenfell building fire happened which shocked everyone. I think people have this react is because we ignored some potential risks that would cause this fire. 

We don't have enough brain to remember everything and naturally our brain will select the most important information for us that we can't avoid.

people overreact in daily life

I took these two pictures when I go back to my accommodation. The first picture is about the impression that ' it seems like I am always the first one while waiting for the green light'. The second situation is I feel like everyday I just can't catch the first train.

• I believe the reason why we have these feeling is we tend to remember the unpleasant feelings. In other words, we overreact/ exaggerate about life.
  • Confirmation bias

tiger-team was the most popular children book when I was little. Inside this book there some card help children to cracking password. which also can be treated as a a different way of communication.

He offered alternative facts by NBC's Meet the Press

Cryptography

'The Naked City' – Guy Debord (1957)

The Naked City form Guy Debora is a really good example of visually express the main information and connection between each one. Instead of showing themes by making collage I would like to start with analysis the key characteristics of how news be spread. In this way, news as one of the topics that we talks in daily life can show a social network by us arrows. 

I Saw What Happened and I Cried by Carrie Weems

Wednesday

Achrome, Piero Manzoni (1958) White plane white, Bram Bogart (1974)

These two white pants drew my attention when I visit Tate modern and make me notice some extra paint and white lines around the paint. I think this is because I exaggerated some unperfected parts. I do think this reaction is quite common in our daily life. We always overact something.

interaction

The reason why I took this picture is I think these two shadows could represent the interaction between people and projection, which is another example of communication. 

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern/display/material-worlds/gustav-metzger

Image

Babel by Cildo Meireles 2001

communication between audience and installation.

Image

Embryology, Magdalena Abakanowicz 1978–80

Magdalena Abakanowicz Embryology 1978–80

Different size of hop-pockets looks like rocks rely on each other. they make feel like these 'stones' are quite intimacy and these smaller stones just like the chicks under their mother's wings. 

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/abakanowicz-embryology-t12958

Image

Kelley Walker (1996) Will We Ever Kill The Bug (2010) Andy Warhol

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern/display/recent-acquisitions/kelley-walker

This is the first work that I found in Tate Mondren used advertising in the work. There are many ads have been cut some holes on them and been rotated, reorganized or become collages. This could link to my editing theme, which involves that people create their work based on other's work. In this case, I don't really understand these works. It looks like a serious of experiments and the artist was testing the layout and background. 

blind people in museum

In design museum, there is a book recorded the how people build a space with the least material. this could link to my oversize idea. Just like bubble,  they only need use few material to create a outcome which is much bigger than the original size. The different between bubble and this space is the difference of stability. I haven't figure out how to apply this research into my project

emoji

Image

Text box

This fish tank is made by glass and is placed in the edge of table. It make me feel insecure and fragile. Even though I know it won't fall, I still worry about it. Maybe I could replace the gold fish and fill the tank with phones. The form of this tank reminds me of time lapses and the rubbish bag. 

I searched whole day about the wired materials that have very low melting point. and I just realize the most common material that could meet the requirement is material.

seeing is believing by percylau

EVERYTHING IS INSPIRING UNDER THE SUN by percy lau

Dada Child - Hexagon by percy lau

Glasses by Rona Zinger

ツムグ by nakamuragraph (2015)

the cover of The New York Time Magazine (2015)

Bibliography

In this book  we can find the five categories of social group, which support my idea of people who shared same or similar interests tend to have more connection and they might develop into some squads and groups. 

vesicant/ foamer

voices otobong nkanga

I found this in Tate museum and I was attracted by these concretes and they are connected to each other by wire. From my perspective, concretes represent individual human and wire means the connection.

bubble and bubble economic

At the beginning , I was just searching for images that i could used as a mood board. but i realize the picture could explain my ideas as well. For example, I was attracted by the color of this bubble which is vibrant, rich and vivid in this picture, like the beautiful appearance of bubble economic and some slogan of politician. In this image photographer successfully recored the the moment of bubble bursting. So we can see the frail fracture it has. I quite interest in the relation between vulnerable soap bubble and the air that could burst bubble in any minute inside the bubble. Thanks to the air suds could become bubbles but at the same time air is potential risk. the volume of a little drop of suds can change into a enormous bubble. maybe oversize is the main reason of weak bubble.

rubber duck by Florentijn Hofman (Dutch)

My impression of rubber duck is the bath toy when I was a kid. Florentijn Hofman enlarged a rubber duck and put in different rivers as an installation art. In my opinion, the rubber duck is too huge to be regarded as a bath toy. On the one hand, it become useless. 

• oversize

Particularly, when the rubber duck deflated it shows the fragile of rubber and it remains me of air balloon.

Image

Image

recycled-boats-life-

FREITAG

Image

Image

At first I thought this work is about the layout of newspaper, while actually it says the empty context of news paper which is quite ironic. This newspaper inspired me and I would like to build a 3D model that could warn people about the empty context of social media. Not like newspaper, people usually spent much more time on their phones and addicted to social media. Right now I am thinking about combine the enormous but useless object and empty context together and show to the audience that we already spent too much time on useless things and it's time to change that situation.

Camera Restricta — Philipp Schmitt

camera restrict inspired me 

Interstitial Space Helmet, Auger-Loizeau, 2004

The whole head was under the helmet and the screen in front of us shows a digital image of face but we don't know is that the real face of this person. These information reminds me of these days more and more internet trolls send horrible information on the internet. usually, in real life they are totally different people. I think the reason why trolls bold enough to say bad things is they feel like no one knows who they are and there is no consequents.

Malpass, Matt (2015) Criticism and Function in Critical Design Practice.

Before I know this artificial I thought I was working on conceptual design approach, then I notice that what I a, m trying to achieve is more like this critical design. in this book I found a lot of explanations of critical design and gave a definition of it. But it is quite hard for me to finish it all.

In the text test session (16th August 2017), I find the rest of book of this critical design in the library. so I shared this books with my group and utilize this opportunity to analyze the content. This time I feel like the content and the tone that author used are quite personal. Because I have more knowledge about critical design, which doesn't have an authoritative definition about it.  

The paragraph that I chose contains image, examples and author's own opinion. and I found a really interesting section, which said critical design should more close to our daily life. So the audience could feel more and have their own understanding or guess.   

Why our screens make us less happy

In this TED-talk, I agree with the reason why we can't stop use our phones is there is no stoping cuse. not like newspaper or any paper print, we don't need to turn to the next page. Therefor we don't known how many time we already spent. This point of view offered me a new direction which is give user a stoping cuse. For instants, we can limit the time of using phone by clock. the sound of counting down also could make us nervous and mind us about the time goes by.

inside the mind of a master

Teach girls bravery, not perfection

portraits created from shadow by kumi yamashita

https://www.designboom.com/art/portraits-created-from-shadow-by-kumi-yamashita/

Without light, we won't be able to see the shadow of portraits, this reminds me of the hidden information behind the news. Sometimes, we need more resource to know the whole story and see things in different perspectives.  

External media

I can't find the sand that I want to make a sand clock. so I got an idea: why not replace it with liquid?  Lava lamp could have the same visual effects. It's easy to make. But I'm a little concern about can it works. Because the oil and water will flow away if it's not perfectly sealed.

Image

sugru

A mouldable material that I find in the material library. Although the melting point is 180 degrees, which is much higher than human temperature. On the packaging, it says sugru could be removed. I'm wondering can it be reused and are there any toxic element will be discharged when sugru is heated.

I should look for some similar material like this. 

material

material: wax

rotring-800-mechanical-pencil-and-stylus-hybrid

saving pot

Text box

look young by Julia Jankelaityte ( 2012 )

Teleye glasses by Hugo Gernsback (1963)

cardboard google

Christian Heikoop - Glissade

Touch Lenses by Tal Gur

Text box

Thick Lenses by Tamar Canfi

Thick Lenses by Tamar Canfi